In the real world my name is Jaap Biemans (here my website), addicted mag fan and live in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Besides championing creative mag covers i work as art director for Volkskrant Magazine. I graduated in ’98 at Academy of Art and Design St. Joost, Breda and worked for several magazines.
Designing covers is the acest thing to do. It’s an intuitive way of thinking, a way of observing and questioning the subject. Choosing to avoid or emphasize preconceptions. For me creativity is king and perfect for magazines to stand out from the rest.
– 2018 Winning a SILVER ADCN lamp, Amsterdam for best magazine design
– 2018 commisioned a 10 split-run covers designed by “LEGENDS and ACES from the editorial world.” The theme “creativity” done by Mirko Borsche, Anthony Burrill/Ewoudt Boonstra, David Carson, Wim Crouwel, Paul Faassen, Erik Kessels, George Lois, Rodrigo Sanchez, Richard Turley, and me, Jaap Biemans in collaboration with Anna Kiosse
– 2018 I had the honor to design 10 postal stamps for Rijksmuseum van Oudheden and PostNL
– 2017 winning 4 Merit Awards SPD 52 NEW YORK; Best Design Cover / Design entire issue / Best illustrated Cover
– 2016 Choosen as ART-DIRECTOR OF THE YEAR by Mercurs, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
– 2016 Winner Silver Medal SPD 51 for BEST ILLUSTRATED COVER, New York, USA
– 2016 Winning two ADCN awards: ARTDIRECTION & GRAPHIC DESIGN, Amsterdam
– 2015 Medal winner SPD 50 for BEST NEWS COVER of the year, New York, USA
– 2015 Medal finalist SPD 50 for BEST DESIGNED COVER of the year, New York, USA
– 2014 Merit Award SPD 49 NEW YORK cover Volkskrant Magazine
– 2010 Intermediair magazine wins BEST COVER OF THE YEAR OVERALL categorie
– 2009 Intermediair magazine wins BEST COVER BIZZ categorie
– 2008 Intermediair magazine wins BEST COVER BIZZ categorie